XPO, a leading provider of innovative and sustainable end-to-end logistics solutions across Europe, has achieved carbon neutral status for its 350,000 sq ft Crick centre in Northamptonshire, which serves as its headquarters and national distribution hub for the UK and Ireland. The goal was achieved 12 months ahead of plan, according to the company’s sustainability commitment.
The company was awarded this status by Carbon Neutral Britain in June this year, after reducing its site emissions before offsetting the final 1,124 tons of CO2e. The original target for reaching this status had been December this year.
Dan Myers, managing director – UK and Ireland, XPO Logistics, said: “Achieving carbon neutrality at our Crick facility is an important step in our sustainability journey. Reaching our target well ahead of plan is a testament to our commitment to deliver on our planet's positive promises and to the hard work of all our colleagues at Crick. Still, we are not resting on our laurels. We know there is more to do, and we need to do it faster, working with our outstanding team. I am confident we will achieve carbon neutrality in additional company sites this year.”
Emissions from the Crick site were reduced in several ways, including:
- Switching to Tier 1 energy supply – including wind, solar, and hydro.
- Replacing all lighting with LEDs throughout offices and the warehouse, which happened more than a year earlier than expected.
- Reducing water demand by monitoring usage across the site and introducing measures to reduce consumption.
- Working with our waste contractor to achieve zero waste to landfill and increase segregation of waste streams to boost overall recycling.
- Implementing an internal reuse initiative for scrap packaging in our High Bay operations (wood, metal, and high-grade card).
- Segregating packaging waste to optimise rebates before re-investing this in other initiatives on site.
In addition, XPO Logistics will be expanding use of its own renewable energy resources to boost energy generating capacity and battery storage solutions. These commitments will accelerate the company’s journey to achieving carbon neutrality.
XPO Logistics is a leading innovative supply chain company in Europe, offering end-to-end logistics solutions that combine full-truck-load, less-than-truck-load, pallet distribution, last-mile delivery, global freight forwarding, and warehousing services. The company tailors its solutions to the specific needs of its customers in a wide range of industrial and consumer sectors.