Wincanton has secured a five-year contract with Segen, the UK’s leading renewables distributor.
The partnership will see Wincanton leading the transformation of Segen’s warehouse capabilities, consolidating its existing multiple warehouse facilities into a single 265,000 square foot national distribution centre in Medway, Kent. Here, a state-of-the-art warehouse management system will be deployed to improve stock visibility and enhance Segen customer experience. Wincanton will also be responsible for Segen’s transport and carrier network.
The various warehouse facilitates will be migrating to Kent in a staged approach over the next six months and the resulting operation unlocks huge customer benefits, namely:
- Single site gives Segen customers visibility and access to all its stock, not just the warehouse nearest to them
- State of the art warehouse management systems and quality control will improve pick accuracies and reduce returns
- Eliminating the transport of goods from multiple warehouses reduces carbon footprint
- The ability for customers to see their order from leaving the national distribution centre to point of delivery
- The additional space makes way for a state-of-the-art installer training academy launching early 2024
The new Medway operation is a key part of Segen’s commitment to help the UK solar industry hit its 2023 target of 70GW of deployment, while providing an enhanced customer experience.
David Rice, Managing Director Segen UK, commented:
"This partnership is essential for our growth ambitions. As the UK’s leading renewables distributor, we are taking the business and our customer experience to the next level. Our partnership with Wincanton and our joint vision of driving efficiency and sustainability improvements through innovation will mean we can do just that.”
Rachel Gilbey, Managing Director of General Merchandise at Wincanton, adds:
"We are thrilled to be partnering with Segen to unlock their growth potential. The solution includes the deployment of Wincanton’s warehouse management and transport control tower technology, which alongside our great people, will deliver sustainable supply chain value to Segen and its customers."