It has just been announced that Ministerial planning approval, for the construction of Mossend International Railfreight Park (MIRP) has been granted.
David Stirling, PD Stirling Ltd. Said:
“We welcome the Reporter’s recommendation and Ministerial decision to grant us planning approval. Delivery of MIRP will create new opportunities for railfreight, both into and out of Scotland, and help to secure new investment and economic benefits both in Lanarkshire and across Scotland.
“We look forward to working closely with North Lanarkshire Council, our local communities, the Scottish Government and others to secure the jobs and investment that MIRP can bring.”
The site for MIRP is located in North Lanarkshire, due east of the City of Glasgow and is set to create a modern, strategic rail facility in central Scotland with connections to the UK and Europe. With an expanded Railhead, including 775m sidings of international standard and 200,000m² (2.2m sqft) of onsite storage, distribution, service and logistics facilities, MIRP marks a significant investment in North Lanarkshire’s economy.
Key benefits of MIRP are to include:-
- A lower cost, efficient and more sustainable alternative, to long haul road transport.
- Improved access and delivery times for businesses moving goods.
- Removal of all associated HGV traffic from the local road network.
- Up to 4,900 construction and operational jobs.
- A sustainable green legacy for Bellshill, which will also incorporate a network of community greenspace.